Luba Jarzębiak
Luba Jarzębiak, a medical doctor – has lived in Legnica since 1946 after she came back from Siberia. She is one of the first settlers in the Western Land. She graduated from Medical Academy in Wrocław. She worked as a surgeon – anesthesiologist and internist for 42 years. She was a pupil of a well known cardio-surgeon, professor Wiktor Brossa. She was the only anesthesiologist serving Legnica and the ex-Province of Legnica for 10 years. She was an assistant of doctor Zdzisław Szulc – a well known and respected surgeon who established the Surgical Hospital in Legnica.
Due to her efforts anesthesiological units were created in surgical, ophthalmic, laryngological, maternity and gynecological departments. She gave lectures on sanitary education directed to village inhabitants for years, and she participated in so called “white Sundays”. She participated in rescue teams during sports events (car rallies, parachute jumping) and she provided medical care for children at school. In 1989 she was awarded the Silver Cross of Merit and an order of the “Person of Merit for Legnica”. She was very active providing medical care in 1997 during the Pope’s visit to Legnica and during the flood in Legnica.